From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:10:50 -0500
George,
 Now in 2000, quite a few states have either minimized or discontinued
bee
> inspection supposedly due to the successful control of AFB disease.

Excellent point George! In Missouri we are seeing a rise in cases of
American Foul Brood. I personally haven't yet. Both the documented cases
have come in commercial yards using Terramycin. Both beekeepers say they
treated with three treatments at proper intervals. Both had been using
Terramycin as a prevention spring and fall for as long as they can
remember(as per our best beekeeping researchers).
Dr. Shiminuki told me last year resistance to Terramycin by  AFB is a
reality in the U.S. now. Shim is working on a new antibiotic to curb the
problem and should be available soon.
My opinion:
1978 was the last year i saw AFB in my yards. I talked to the "old
timers" and then went to my yards a dug a hole and burned any frame
which looked like it might contain AFB. I stacked the boxes and toasted
the insides as per "Hive and the Honey Bee". I took a propane torch to
the tops and bottoms. End of problem!
In the old days the above was required by bee inspectors. NOW they can
treat with Terramycin while the problem grows larger.
One of the above beekeepers removed and burnt 200 frames of AFB. My
yards border his to the north and the other beekeepers yards border mine
to the west. We are a close knit group in Missouri and both told me as
soon as they found the AFB. The problem to me is as important as if they
were my own hives. Why? Because AFB crashes hives FAST. Almost destroyed
beekeeping in the 1940s in U.S.. As those beekeepers hives weaken the
strong colonies rob the weak and bring AFB spores right into other
apiaries. Mine included. Many bee equipment suppliers tell the beginners
that with new equipment they don't have much to worry about. That
statement has been true for quite a while but if we don't get a handle
on the problem and switch to a different antibiotic the beginners might
be burning new equipment. You have got to get rid of those spores! That
wa the lesson we learned in the 1940s. Lets learn from our mistakes and
nipe this problem in the bud before it becomes a major beekeeping
problem. Check your hives very carefully this spring. If you find a hive
which has died don't put bees back in and treat with Terramycin. Burn
frames and sterilize equipment. Even if Dr. Shim comes up with a new
antibiotic the spores will still be there. Its been two months since we
burnt equipment in Missouri and we are not seeing any AFB. AFB is not a
serious problem in U.S. yet but could quickly become one if ignored.
happy beekeeping!
Bob Harrison U.S.A.