From:
Keith Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:14:37 -0500
Revised with less quoted material:

Bob Harrison wrote:

>Hello Keith & All,
>Actually what Keith is saying answers a couple questions I had when trying
>to find the time table on comb  of DWV . I only found one beekeeping site
>which referred to DWV spores. I thought this strange at the time but those
>involved with me in the PMS problem always referred to PMS spores.

Perhaps they are discussing one of the bacteria that may be associated
with the problem?  If they are refering to viral spores their
terminology is incorrect.  Once has to have a cell to make a spore.
Bacterial cells, fungal cells, algal cells etc.    Virii do not have
cells.

Just because they do not form spores doesn't mean they are not
persistant and because of that your current testing is certianly not a
waste. or time.  Some virii are fairly environmentally stabile.  Not as
much as an anthrax spore, but persistant none the less.  Also, within
the hive there is ample organic materials to protect a viral particle.
Wax, cocoons, other detritus etc. can all potentially protect viral
particles from environmental degradation.  FWIW - scabs are remarkable
in their ability to protect viruses.  Ala smallpox.

>So now we know (or at least I do ) that some virus are spore forming and
>others are not.

Nope.  Virii do not form spores.

>What is the dormant state of a virus called such as DWV?

Since viruses are not alive in the sense that they are not actively
metabolizing, they are essentially dormant all the time - until they
plug into a cell they are going to infect/hijack.

>How long is the dormant state viable?

I think you mean, how long do viral particles remain infective.  Depends
on the type of virus.  Some are very environmentally labile e.g.
enveloped viruses.  Others are more persistant.  When they are locked up
in organic material some can be quite persistant.

>We know varroa can survive up to 7 days without a host.
>What is the time period for PMS virus to survive without bees?  Is there a time period?
>Will temperature extremes kill the dormant stage?

Depends entirely on what kind of virus you have - there are many, and
they are extremely varied.  I would bet there is.  There is for for almost every other virus.
Temp extremes can be used to destory virii, typically heat is more effective.  Freezing is often used to
preseve virii.

Keith