From:
Curtis Crowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:04:16 -0500
I corrected my syrup dilution to feed 2:1 (by weight, 2 parts sugar to one
part water) and am
using division board feeders.  If the hives are not completely "stocked" for
winter, I assume
I can leave the feeders in until spring, filling them up as weather permits.

 It occurred to me that I might also combine weak hives, placing an Imrie
shim between the
 two to conserve heat.   This causes two problems: 1- the feeder in the
lower box is
inaccessible w/o removing the upper, and 2- if I have field bees flying (not
too many at this
late date), and combine two adjacant hives, the bees might not find their
way home.

the use of the shim appeals to me because both queens are young, and I would
like to maintain both colonies.

/Curtis Crowell
Hightstown, New Jersey