From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 20:05:11 -0500
On 24 Dec 99, at 11:46, William Morong wrote:

> appear in scallopy sets.  Sometimes the sets occur in parallel pairs,
> usually with the fins offset rather than opposed. Even bees who build no
> honey laden burr comb build them.  The bees seldom attach them below,
> merely making them droop in catenary shapes.  I always remove these fins,
> and the bees determinedly replace them.  For what purpose do bees build
> these fins?

I would suggest incorrect bee space for the building of 'fins' or
burr comb between supers. In a correctly spaced hive the maximum
should be 1/4" plus or minus 1/16th" this prevents unnecessary space
which the bees want to fill
         If built on the bottom frames, then it's used as ladder comb and
allows the bees the reach the frame bottom off the bottom board.
        Merry Christmas everyone, 'may your blossoms be filled with nectar
and the road all downhill'.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H1.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre,
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>