From:
Jonathan Kriebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 06:42:29 -0400
Along the lines of foraging, I have read that bees are relatively late
risers.  Here, the last few days, I have been observing them working the
Cleome in force.  This is at 0530-0600.  I put in several "beds" (2 x 40
metres) of Cleome, Lupine, Salvia and Larkspur (a partial list).  I have
noticed them avidly working the Cleome as early as 0530.  In addition, I
have noticed them actually crawling inside (forcing their way) into the
salvia.
Another interesting observation is that there is definitely a
differentiation between bees collecting Pollen, and those collection nectar.
For the last three days I have noticed that bees were hovering around the
Cleome, and 'touching down' on the long pistil of the flower.  These had
large amount of red Pollen in their baskets.  (I was wondering where they
were getting the red stuff).  I watched as yellow jackets (da bastads)
deftly flew into the flower mass and went right for the nectar.  The bees
however appeared to clumsily attempt to do this, and few succeeded.  This
morning, I watched as some collected the pollen, whilst others went for the
nectar.  The bees crawled throughout the flower mass/head and collected the
nectar from each blossom, as opposed to the crack headed yellow jackets
which would get the nectar from one blossom, then fly to another head for
nectar.
The Cleome secretes a droplet of nectar that appears to dry up by 1300,
perhaps earlier if in direct sunlight.  This morning I watch as a few bees
sparred over the "landing rights."  I would imagine that the flow on other
pasturage is at low ebb, in preparation for the dearth before the autumnal
flow.  I started keeping a ledger on the bee's activities, as to what plants
I observed them foraging on, at what time, for what material, temperature,
and time of day.  I plan to add additional "beds" next year of the specific
flora that provide pasturage during the normal dearth period.
I did quite a bit of research on the different honey plants that appeared to
be of value that would succeed here.  I am always looking for more
information, as the only real books I have come across are Pellet's and
Lovell's.  Pellet must have been a fascinating individual.  I have several
of his texts, and not only are they well written, but very practical.  Of
all of the texts on beekeeping I have found, "Productive Beekeeping" which
is one of Lippencott's Farm Manuals (copywrite 1916) was the most complete,
practical and informative that I have read.  This includes Sammatro, whose
book was too general (IMHO).  I hope this post fits the purpose of the list.

Jonathan B. Kriebel
Das Sauen Õhr Farm
3229 Zepp Rd.
Green Lane, PA 18054-2357