Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2018 15:19:24 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
> Could someone please explain why any rational person would even consider a genetic linkage between mitotype and aggression?

The use of mtDNA is solely for identification purposes. African bees are illegal in many jurisdictions but ID is required before mandatory destruction. Obviously, if the bees are vicious, the owner can dispose of them. All of the samples I have sent in have tested negative for Africanization so I consider the testing almost useless. 

Genomic DNA is more reliable, but as I have said many times, genomic testing looks for markers that are associated with things, in this case geographic origin. The assumption is that if they are from African stock, they will be mean which is not true. Neither is the assumption that if they are mean they will test African. 

I have suggested that behavior is the key factor, if they can or cannot be handled without extreme protective equipment. As a matter of fact, I recently worked on a large paper wasp nest using only normal amounts of smoke from my smoker. They were easily subdued, whereas some of the mean hives I have worked have been utterly oblivious to smoke, or it seems to make them madder.

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2