From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 04:29:43 -0700
>>> The bad news is that protozoa are just plain hard to see.
>>> He mentioned "phase contrast", a microscope feature that is
>>> well beyond the budget of a beekeeper.

>> That is certainly news to me, I use a fairly basic, elderly
>> microscope and can see nosema and amoeba easily.

I think that perhaps the difference in expectations here is that most of us
just look for spores, not the active amoebae.  The spores are readily
visible without special preparation or staining, although to get
quantatative estimates, a haemocytometer is used by some of us.  Spores in
any significant quantity on a slide are accepted as a sign of the presence
of the disease, since apparently they form readily when the disease is
active.  This discussion makes me think it would be interesting to know the
actual corelation between the number of spores and the amount of active
disease.

> In the good news area, work discussed on this mailing list has
> "proven" that multiple lines of commercially-available bees are
> tracheal mite resistant, but no one seems to have bothered to
> promote this advantage...

The study did not reveal the US suppliers with the superior stock at the
time of the study due to the agreement under which samples were supplied.
Due to the cost, the slowness, and the bother involved in sending frames for
the 'quick' test, many producers are not faithful in testing.  Since the
trait can disappear in a few generations, and since good breeders should be
using more than a few mothers, maintaining the trait requires organisation
and dedication.  I suppose that asking the breeder will bring some kind of
an indication of his/her commitment and recent tests, but be prepared for a
response that is less than enthusiastic.  While you are asking questions,
mention HYG and see what answer you get as well.  Although I doubt that
Backwoods, the only US tester of which I am aware, would likely be sworn to
secrecy, they might be happy to mention a few successful customers.  I don't
know.

My undersatnding is that, however, breeding queens from the Ontario bee
project breeders --
http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/crops/facts/info_honeybeequeen.htm -- are
tested regularly and have a high tracheal tolerance as well as superior
hygienuic qualities.  Apparently the Buckfast queens raised in Ontario also
have very good tolerance, as do pure specimens of the Primorsky stock now
being released in the USA.

Any of these queens can be readily obtained -- AFAIK -- by US beekeepers,
and, in spite of higher than average prices and lack of early spring
availability, Ontario queens are popular with beekeepers in neighbouring US
states.

I just came from a meeting in BC and heard Alison Skinner, the tech transfer
person for the Ontario project speak on their project, which has been
underway for some time.  Any groups that are interested in pursuing such
goals might approach her or Doug McRory (see above ref).

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/