From:
William Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2010 10:53:13 -0400
Dear Beeks,

It is getting close to the time when tulip poplar trees will be in
bloom.  I am asking for your help.

If you live in the midatlantic region of the US where many tulip
poplars grow, could you spend some time looking to see if the trees
have bees visiting them. The reason I ask is that where I live in
southern Maryland, I have not had any tulip poplar honey for over 15
years.  I know that for the past ten years at least that there are no
insects visiting the tulip poplars.  And for the past several years
there have been no insects visiting the black locust or the holly trees.

I don’t know why this is, but have ruled out most everything that has
been suggested to me.  Of course it would be nice if you would post
your findings to Bee-L.

If you are the type that likes to watch which trees and flowers the
bees visit, maybe you have observed other plants where you live that
are no longer visited by the bees.
Thanks,
Bill Bartlett