Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 15:35:22 CDT
Sorry to both folks with another question regarding herbicide use, but I
received a very aggressive sales call last night from a lawn care
company. In brief, the salesman said:
a.) They've targeted my street for "a lot" of lawn treatments at low
cost.
b.) They put down an herbicide (he thought it was "reliance"). He
maintained it had no consequences to humans or animals, maintained he
was looking at the sack and that it had no warnings about bees and no
warnings about when it should be used.
c.) They do their applications from 8:00 a.m. till dusk "So as not to
disturb people"
d.) They also put down a urea and sulpher compound four times during the
season.
I was very polite to him, and after getting the above information
politely declined. My neighbors are, however, somewhat more "suburban"
in their lifestyle preferences.
Should I be concerned for my 6 hives of bees?

---other topic---

In order to make good on a prior promise to "summarize for the group" I
wanted to report that a hive which failed last year in spite of my
providing syrup probably died from lack of pollen. The fact that the
bees were looking for a pollen source was confirmed this spring when a
bushy crop of some sort of mint grew up right outside the entrance. I
can only assume that the bees took in some small mint seed as a possible
pollen source and then tossed it out later. [Didn't think they were
smart enough to begin their own essential oils therapy ;-) ]

Thanks for any responses.
Phil