From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 08:18:38 -0700
I enjoyed your message and hearing about your success with Mineral oil.  You
note that you found no Varroa after treatment.  Would you please explain the
methods by which you checked for the presence of Varroa?

Your sentiment of not using chemicals in the hive is great but please
remember that mineral oil is a chemical as well.  Using it as you do it is
also a pesticide, is it not?

>    I think that beekeepers could use both Apistan and Mineral Oil.  Use the
>MO. when you notice varroa and you have supers on and then when they are
>removed install the strips. I think that varroa can't get started if used
>together. I just like the idea of not using any pesticides or chemicals in
>the hive if at all possible.

Eric Abell
Gibbons, Alberta Canada T0A 1N0
Ph/fax (403) 998 3143