From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2008 21:16:33 -0500
> Has anyone heard of a beekeeper losing a large number of bee hives. I was
> told that someone lost about 10,000 or more hives. Has anyone heard of
> this. What is the largest number that anyone has heard of.

The Adee's might fall into this category but I have not heard exact figures.
I received today my last order of CD'S on CCD from the National convention.
I will have listened to all (except hobby/sideline) when done with these and
certain CD's several times taking notes)

Jeff Pettis explains that to rule a hive CCD they need to rule out first
varroa and nosema as a possible cause of the hive crash. He explains they
have in their opinion ruled out for the most part many of the things many
beekeepers feel are at the root of CCD.

Also Jeff said this year in California the rapid decline is a factor in
their listing CCD as a cause. He says many  of the CCD  hives  they looked
at in almonds this January had the number of frames of bees written on the
box ( 9-12 frames and the date) and then 2 weeks later the hives were down
to 3 frames. he said in fifty percent of the hives they did not get a single
varroa in a roll of 300 bees. 30% of the sample detected had nosema issues.
He said hives tested which were not crashing many times had as high a nosema
load.

So far the best CD on the subject I have listened to so far. I also received
the 3 nosema seminar CD's but have not listened to yet. The paperwork with
the CD's says nothing about me talking about whets on the CD's.

The CD can be ordered from Conference Recording service,inc.
www.conferencerecording.com

NBC98-399 1 of 1

"Coping with Colony Collapse Disorder"
Dr. Jeff Pettis & Dennis vanEnglesdorp

To date maybe the best CD to order. Attending is best but these CD's are
close. The reason is you can pause and listen again till you understand
exactly what is being said. In fact I believe I will order even when I
attend. Then I could spend a larger amount of time in the hallways talking
directly with other beekeepers and not miss a presentation.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

Ps. please send Dave Cushman a card as Dave has done so much for internet
beekeeping. His web site stands alone and he has spent countless hours on
discussion lists. Dave has been on BEE-L longer than I have. Dave goes back
to the start of BEE-L! I have sought out his advice on many issues over the
years!