From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:31:36 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

undoubtedly, the worst of the European races in our black bees. Their  only
redeeming feature is their hardiness, but then that works against us as  well,
because it is why they exist ferally as well as they do. They are always
impossibly nervous, usually nasty, produce little honey, and have little
resistance to brood diseases, especially chalkbrood. They give darker bees, or  any
bee they cross with, a bad name."

Several points arise here.  Colour is inherited independently and is  little
indication of the nature of the rest of the genes in a colony;  also black is
dominant over yellow.

Often Amm, when mixed with Aml or others of the eastern line, produces a
very cross cross as a result of hybrid vigour. So the bad name may be unfairly
applied to dark bees when it is the addition of the unseen yellow strain that
is  the cause of the problem.

Selection of docile lines is very achievable. The black Irish bees used to
have a fearsome reputation, however, in recent years groups of beekeepers
(mostly members of BIBBA, the Bee Improvement and Bee Breeders' Association)  have
'tamed' them. Less than a week ago, John Hendrie (BBKA), Sue Cobey and I
opened a hive of black Irish bees after tea at Gormanston without a smoker or
veil between us. We took out a couple of well populated frames for examination
and the bees virtually ignored us. Sue picked off a drone and showed us her
technique for everting it for semen collection.  After maybe 5 minutes or  more
we put the hive (a 5 frame nuc) back together again. None of us was stung  or
even buzzed at.

Although we didn't notice any on that occasion, some people who have used
some of those Irish bees have reported high levels of chalkbrood.

Chris