From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:37:14 -0000
Chris asked:

> a) The bees look rather like Amm, dark with narrow tomenta.  Is it  their
> reputation for bad temper that made the operator wear gloves?

Yes, working towards A.m.m.

They are very good tempered - these can be worked without smoke and probably
without a veil, although I do not risk that.  The reasons for the gloves are
twofold:
first propolis - we do not want it all over the steering wheel etc when
moving between apiaries
second hygiene - we use soda wash to clean gloves and hive tool after each
hive, and discard the disposable gloves after each apiary.
Best wishes

Peter Edwards
beekeepers at stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/