From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:09:32 -0400
Even cheaper are homosote boards over the inner cover which act
as moisture absorbers and also a water reservoir for the bees in
the winter. I leave them on all year long. They absorb water and
release it in the day with warm sun and dry air.
I think the dessicant will fill up too quickly and require
opening the hive to replace them to make dessicant worthwhile.
You are absorbing water from more than the hive- it is open to
the atmosphere, so you are drying the earth's atmosphere which
could get trying :)
Another interesting aspect- I read that the bees form a ice
crystal barrier around the cluster through the moisture they give
off which also acts as an insulator, so drying it up may lead to
cooler bees and be counterproductive.
Bill T
Bath, ME