From:
Gunnar Thygesen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 1996 19:34:04 +0100
 In a message to Gunnar Thygesen, [log in to unmask] (2:11015/1001.0) wrote:

 B>  B>  B>  B>  B>  B> Apparently-to: [log in to unmask]
 B> From: "Rudolf E. Bahr" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Recycle
 B> your Brood Combs?

 B> On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, David Eyre wrote:

>>  Robert Rice <[log in to unmask]> wrote
>>>If everyone adopted the habit of recycling brood combs on a 5 or 6
>>>year basis then there would be a lot less disease in our hives and
>>>consequently a lot less chemical control. For all diseases there is
>>>a minimal infective dose which must be reached before a disease
>>>will establish itself. If you can stay below this thresh hold then
>>>a disease outbreak is highly unlikely.
>>
>> What a rush! I was really pleased to see this post!! The view has
>> always been,' the queen prefers to lay in dark comb' and through
>> the years I have seen some disgustingly black stuff. We try to
>> change one third every year.
>>         Last year we had a speaker from Denmark who is on the
>> Buckfast breeding program, and they change all frames every year.
>> Mind you they also have a steam cleaning process where they send
>> all their boxes and frames for de-waxing and cleaning. The wax is
>> then recycled into foundation.
>>     ****************************************************
>>
 B> Yes, I am very pleased too! Though the bees seem to be attracted
 B> by dark combs, I think, it's very important to recycle them
 B> regularly. Until now I never heard about changing all frames every
 B> year, but that's doubtlessly good. That means putting the bees on
 B> new frames at oince and supporting this action by feeding
 B> liquidly. Also pollen should be available in nature. The old brood
 B> combs as a whole are given to another colony, at the bottom.

 B> It's nice to observe, the queen just begins to lay eggs, when the
 B> cells did'nt have got yet their final length. One thing seems to
 B> be important: Not to recycle completely too late in the year, the
 B> new frames should be breeded oince. They then seem to be warmer to
 B> the bees in winter.

 B> Yes, for dewaxing and cleaning frames we use a steempot. Those
 B> pots are available to hobby beekeepers too. In a size to contain
 B> the frames of one hive they will cost circa 800 US $. We make
 B> candles out of the wax or change it for new wax walls (expression
 B> ?, surely you know what I mean).

 B> Regards,
 B> R.E.Bahr

 B> NISI APES FINIS

 B> ---

One word more from Denmark but not from the speaker who is on the Buckfast
breeding program. I am sure he also told taht it has been forbidden for many
years to use medications of bees in Denamrk. So no use of Terramycin and
Fumidil and foulbrood is rather rare in Denmark. All because an hygienic
management of beekeeping. Remember that old brood combs are dunghills. Not
everybody change their brood combs every year but for sure a brood comb removed
from a hive does not go back into any hive even if it has been used by the
queen only once.