From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 2015 08:15:33 -0500
to cut to the chase somewhat a survey was done of apiary sites by location and honey production (I seem to recall this 'survey' was done somewhere in the mid west) and there was a positive correlation between the proximity to a riparian strip of land and per hive honey production.

The question has to go deeper than this.  Its great to study the land types and how they affect bees.  But given the range the bees work it can be a bit misleading.  One or two fantastic crops in a given area can sustain a hive.  ( something that gives a great flow and allows a large surplus)

BUT,  does that mean it’s a good area overall?   There are 2 other factors that must be calculated to be valuable to beekeepers.  First  seasonal variations.  For example I have been hearing the CA foothills are great for bees,  but the last few seasons that has not been the case.  Regional weather patterns and blooms  such as drought or excessive rain can cause a huge skew in results.  Even over a 3 year period.  Such as the CA drought,  or as I am told some tree crops in AUS.

The other is hive loading.  In work such as the smart paper,  we saw yards that did great,  and yards that did poorly.  One of the worst yards in that report averaged around 50lbs of surplus (note it was put in a obviously terrible area) That yard had 12 hives.   Would it have show better if there were only 2??

Trying to evaluate the amount and quality of forage for bees is a huge undertaking.  Learing to spot what the bees work and like is very valuable.  I need to go back and look,  but I seem to recall from one paper  that Aster was a large sustaining pollen.....  that was key for me as aster is not a big crop here.   Data on regional forages and time frames  for both honey and pollen  should be a key part of any of these studies.

Charles