From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 22:24:06 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Garth +ADw-g95c6713+AEA-warthog.ru.ac.za+AD4-
To: BEE-L+AEA-CNSIBM.ALBANY.EDU +ADw-BEE-L+AEA-CNSIBM.ALBANY.EDU+AD4AOw- beeworks+AEA-MUSKOKA.NET
+ADw-beeworks+AEA-MUSKOKA.NET+AD4-
Date: October 12, 1998 1:26 PM
Subject: Re: Vinegar and wax production

+AD4-This is very interesting - I wonder to what extent the bees were
+AD4-using the acetic acid and other organic acids in the vinegar as a
+AD4-feedstock. I know that that would only be a few milliliters per
+AD4-liter/drops per cup but it would represent a useful amount of organic
+AD4-acids that may be of use in synthesizing waxes and so on - I don't
+AD4-know the biochemistry there, but if you noticed an increase in wax
+AD4-production it would be interesting to look further.
+AD4-
+AD4-The other thing is of course that apple cider vinegar is usually
+AD4-produced by fermenting apples to cider, then allowing the cider's
+AD4-alcohol content to be converted to acetic acid.

Now here's a point I was unaware of.
We use Acetic acid as a specific fumigator against Nosema spores, perhaps
there is more to the anti-fermentation use of Apple cider vinegar than meets
the eye. How about a natural preventative to Nosema?
Incidently, I didn't notice an increase in Wax production, just a feeling of
better 'well being'. Certainly any wax drawn seemed a trifle faster, but I
put that down to an increased natural nectar flow.
Seems there is still a lot we don't know about bees+ACE-
+ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKg-
The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario,Canada.
David Eyre. Owner.
Phone (705) 326 7171 Fax (705) 325 3461
beeworks+AEA-muskoka.net
www.muskoka.net/+AH4-beeworks
+ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo-