From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:57:55 -0500
Hello James and All,

James wrote:
>      There has to be a "trigger", since there is simply no other
>      way for the bees to reach a consensus that this person is
>      a threat to any hive, and get defensive.

I agree with Jim's statement completely.

When the honey flow is on and bees are preoccupied many times certain things
which would trigger a defensive response are ignored by the bees. The same
triggers may not be ignored  at other times.

  Lack of a trigger by the experienced beekeeper is the key.

A common topic among long time beekeepers is today's new bee suits.

 The Brian Sheriff design was field tested with angry Africanized bees. Far
superior suits to suits  of years gone past when bees are being defensive.

 I use a *bug Baffler* myself which is a flimsy mosquito netting affair but
10 times cooler in hot weather than a full suit. I hardly ever get through a
beekeeping day without a sting  with the *bug baffler*. as the netting lays
against my bare arms. I always keep a Sheriff suit in the truck in case
needed and do use the full suit in winter as they are warmer and protect
clothing from propolis.

My point is that new beekeepers often do not realize that their suit is
taking quite a few stings as they are not receiving the stings. The more
venom  the more aggressive the bees become.  Masking the venom odor is very
important when using one of these suits. Pay attention to stingers in your
suit and smoke the spot to mask the venom odor.

Wash bee suits often to remove venom odor and smell of sweat and body odor.

When was the last time you washed your bee suit beekeepers?

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

Ps. Although not a proven issue I personally believe bees sense fear in
mammals. Maybe some not yet understood body chemical reaction. Bees always
seem to buzz and sting those which show fear around bees. Only an
observation of mine.

Is fear in mammals  a trigger for  bees to become defensive?