From:
Alan Riach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 07:57:32 +0100
And I note the word "centripetal" from Allen's article, which brought
back the words of my old Engineering prof of 30 yrs ago "the
acceleration is towards the centre gentlemen, centre seeking or
centripetal".
However in extraction, viscosity is also important, especially with
honeys such as Heather which are thixotropic - you can put heather
frames through an extractor and get out nothing but if you uncap them
and leave them face down over a tray for 2 weeks a considerable amount
of honey "falls" out.There is an experiment running at Glasgow
University which was started by Lord Kelvin about 140 years ago
involving a lump of tar on an inclined plane- it's still on the move.
Now the research which elucidates the connection between centripetal
force,viscosity,wax surface friction and time - there leads the way to
the unifying theory of extraction.

Alan Riach - Edinburgh