From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 18:12:49 +0000
On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, Laura A. Downey wrote:

> I have attached two files to this e-mail.  This is a part of a
> conversation that someone is having on a bulletin board about
> dealing with mites.

: Off the BBS
> If the beekeeping industry and those of us who are hobbiest
> keep flooding our hives with chemicals to control the mites

All pretty much true -- you can argue about the details, but at
the end of the day, Apistan et al are just a stop-gap whilst we
sort out the long-term solution of breeding bees that can cope
without it. The only area where I might not agree is about the
chemical companies are rubbing their hands with glee, because
they don't see beekeepers paying the money they will want for
future products, even if they choose to produce them.

: Off the BBS
> For those on this board that think that treating mites with
> Apistan is correct are really making a long term mistake.

Well, yes and no. Whilst we treat we are slowing down natures
own defences against a new parasite. The problem with this
particular parasite is that it is _so_ destructive. We have
little or no choice but to treat with something; but it needn't
necessarily be Apistan or the like.

: Off the BBS
> Both creatures have lived together for centuries.

Wrong! Varroa is new to Apis melliferra. Varroa and Apis _cerana_
have been coexisting, at present A.M. cannot do so.

: Off the BBS
> Being better stewards of our bees can help tremendously with
> keeping and even building reistance to mite attack. Keep
> the pollen stores up at all times.  This gives the bees the
> neccessary protein to handle the infestation and cope with the
> virus infections that go along with these mites.

Never does any harm, may well do some good.

: Off the BBS
> We must not be lead down that path of chemical warfare on mites
> because we will loose in the long run.

Probably true if that's _all_ we do. We must do more.

: Off the BBS
> To use chemicals with our bees is wrong and should be banned!

Sadly, I have to disagree. I don't _like_ having to use
pesticides near my bees and I _try_ to use technical controls
where I can. But this is the real world.

Regards,
--
Gordon Scott   [log in to unmask]   Hampshire, England.
               Beekeeper; Kendo 3rd Dan; Sometime sailor.