From:
Scot Mc Pherson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 01:00:24 -0600
Peter Borst:
	I don't believe there has ever been proof of bees being
permanently "upsized" by foundation. Root discussed this at some length
in his 1890 book. He said: "Several times it has been suggested that we
enlarge the race of honey bees, by giving them larger cells. I have
little hope of any permanent enlargement in size. Worker bees reared in
drone cells are, if I am correct, sometimes extra large in size, but as
to whether we can make them permanently larger by such a course, I am
inclined to doubt."

Me:
Peter, but he was so right. The bees are NOT permanently larger. Remove
the foundation, and they do revert over the course of a few swarming
generations. In 1890, foundation was just recently introduced by Root,
some of it sent to CC Miller at request. Foundation was not simply used
as a staple the way it is today, it was used to start a hive to help
keep comb straight, but it was most common to not be "over-used" when
new frames were inserted into the hives. This is why the statement by
root was made, and he is still right. Even though now more than 100
years later we use foundation and now also complete artificial combs for
almost 100% (I realize there are tons of exceptions) of our comb
building needs, we are not looking at a permanently sized bee, we are
looking at bees still being raised on the artificial sized combs.

Like I have said many times now in the past, all one has to do to see it
is stop using foundation to see what happens. Its not rocket science or
amorphous metals, its simply watching it yourself with your own eyes.

With Respect,
--
Scot McPherson
The McPherson Family Honey Farms