From:
Charles Hatton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 14:48:53 -0600
Dear Bob Neely,

Thanks for all your info on Bee-L.  I always look forward to reading anything you have to say.  I read a letter you sent to an 11 year old young man that is just starting his first hive.  My three daughters (11, 10, and 8 years old) and I just started our first hive in April.  I also bought one for a high school senior down the street.  This has been a great thing in all of our lives.

To that 11 year old young man, you said that he should use a queen excluder.  I was told by the store where I spent $600 for my two unassembled hives, that a queen excluder will stop the other bees from doing much up there.  The lady at the shop said it really is a bee excluder.  I don't know what to do.  Please advise.

A second problem I'm having is that of the two hives we built and bought bees for, one of them has a personality of a mean wet cat and the other is more like a friendly kitten.  Why is this?  I was thinking that if I didn't do anything to the mean hive for six weeks, all the mean bees would have been replaced by new young bees and the temperament might be better.  Is this true?

Thanks again for all you add to Bee-L.

Charles in Salt Lake City