From:
Doug Tompsett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:05:12 -0400
As a relatively new beek, I haven't really had time to develop an immunity to the stings.  But what I have noticed is that one or two stings in a localized area doesn't bother me, but a high number (6+) causes severe swelling and soreness within 8 hours, and lasts a couple of days.

Most recently, I had a hot hive that I should have just closed up when they got aggressive immediately upon opening... but I needed to grab a few frames for a split because queens had arrived.  When I say hot... smoking made them angry, sugar water sprayed on them didn't help.  Walking away (haha... running away) and coming back 5 minutes later, it felt like a wall of bees hit me when I got close.  I chose to run away screaming like a little girl (no offence to the little girls here) when they managed to get into the shoes/ankles and up the legs of my bee suit.  At that point, I had trouble seeing out of the veil because there were so many on me.

Took 6+ stings in one ankle, two above each knee, two in each arm (above the elbow).  The only place that swelled was the ankle.  By 8pm that night, I couldn't walk on it.  Three days later the swelling receded and I was able to wear a normal shoe again.  I have yet to determine if Benadryl even helps when I get stung.  Sure doesn't seem to help with the swelling.  Seems to just make me sleepy and want to nap all evening.

Took 6 stings in each wrist a few months back... the next morning I was a "meat paws" as my wife put it.  Swollen, hot, and sore.  Within 3 days, back to normal.

My ex-mentor (80+ years old) could take stings all day without a problem; but a single blackfly bite caused a big swollen itchy welt.

On a side-note... that hot hive calmed down significantly by the afternoon when I worked up the courage to go back out (after a shower and washing the bee suit... and wearing thick boots).  It appears they were packed for space due to being honeybound and having been requeened a month ago due to mean genetics (not all the mean bees are gone yet, obviously).  Pulling frames for a split, and giving them a 3rd box to draw out, seems to have made them much happier.

Doug Tompsett

Sudbury, ON.