From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:13:00 +0100
Hi All

Peter said...
> The use of the word strategy here is extremely tenuous.

I hold my hand up for a poor choice of words :-)
Shall we say instead... a method of ultimate survival that can help in
extreme cases.

I use the word extreme, because it is rare, let us borrow Occam's razor
from Chris for a moment and consider a few possibilities...

Dee states...
 > Certainly the queen isn't running back and forth
 > between the top and bottom part of the unlimited broodnest?

Murray says...
Why not

Occam says that Murray is right in all but about one percent of cases.

In that odd one percent of hives, Mike Stoops comment about mother and
daughter queen would make sense.

But of that one percent, perhaps one in a hundred cases is due to
anarchistic bees (something like one chance in 10,000).

Now I do not know a figure for the frequency of Thelytoky among
anarchistic bees, but for the sake of this explanation let us use the
figure one in a hundred again (I reckon that is a reasonable choice,
given the frequency of the other behaviours) this would take our chance
of thelytoky being the cause to about one in a million.

So for every million cases of brood found in a position that might not
be contiguous with other brood, we have 999,900 cases where that brood
is due to a queen.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)