From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2015 23:08:45 +0100
>Perhaps one of you beekeepers from the UK could explain "warm way" vs "cold
way."

Warm way = parallel to entrance
Cold way = at right angles to entrance.

It used to be thought that having the frames 'warm way' would stop a draught from the entrance blowing through the hive.

Some also thought that guard bees would congregate on the front frame, so the hive could be worked from the back without stirring up the guards!

I prefer cold way as I can work the hive from either side and keep an eye on the entrance at the same time.  Also useful if hives are placed close to a hedge which can make it difficult to work from behind.

I find that native bees (A.m.m.) put the brood nest at the front - presumably the stores at the back can be more easily defended.  Some pollen is stored over the brood, but much is also stored under and amongst the brood where it is presumably conveniently placed for rearing brood.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W