From:
Jim Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2012 20:16:57 -0800
Bob writes:

> The EPA has set a figure as to the level safe ( for humans). However like
> the Nam nobody's checking product. I personally would like to know what
> happened to the huge stockpile of 2,4.5 -T when Nixon suddenly ended the
> Viet Nam war.

Viet Nam hazardous chemical stocks, including Agent Orange and DDT, were retrograded to a US Army military facility in the US for proper storage and disposal without contaminating the environment.  In the late 1970s, I served as consultant for the proper storage and disposal of these hazardous chemical stocks.

> When Times Beach , Missouri dioxin disaster happened the problem happened
> because of a chemical company trying to get rid of its stockpile of Agent
> orange. Google Times Beach.

I believe the Times Beach incident occurred when electrical transformer oil containing PCBs and dioxins was mixed with waste oil and spread on the roads to reduce dust.  Retrograded Agent Orange stocks remained in US Army custody until they were destroyed by incineration.

Jim Young
Viet Nam Veteran and Entomologist