Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2010 01:57:18 GMT
>>As far as I can tell from my own reading (as a beekeeper and relatively new
parent), the danger is mostly to babies under 6 months

Yes, 90% of the 80-100 cases of infant botulism diagnosed in the US each year are in infants < 6 months old.  [Botulism also occurs in adults.]  Less than 5% are attributed to honey.  8% of the cases are fatal.  The first signs are lethargy and constipation followed by muscle paralysis starting with the face.

It would interesting to know what % of these cases are in breast-fed infants.  Breast-fed babies have more varied microflora in the small intestines and stronger immune systems.  The toxins become dangerous when the digestive tract is allowed to be colonized by the bacterium.

>>I took the middle road. She didn't need a pacifier dipped in honey, or honey at all, so I didn't give it to her.

We surprised that we could take the pacifiers from our sons within 3-4 wks after birth.  One should be careful in presenting raw foods to infants in general.  We started raw honey in small amounts at 3 months w/o ill effects.

If an infant has a compromised immune system or one is not sure it's better not to feed honey.

>>However, if it was in cereal or baked goods or she ate a bit of my honey-laced yogurt...

Cooking at 250F for 3 min. kills b, spores.

Waldemar