From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 23:34:15 -0400
Do bees get to know their keepers? I am pretty sure they don't. I
don't think a bee "knows" what a human being is, or any other large
animal , for that matter -- outside of "knowing" that they are about
to have their hive trashed by this creature.

On the other hand, do beekeepers get to know their bees? Boy, if you
don't, you will suffer. I know there are hives that on certain days,
I can work them without smoke wearing nothing but shoes and shorts.
At other times, I wouldn't approach any hive without coveralls and
gloves.

Fact is, being *good* at handling bees is like being *good* at
playing the guitar. You can't fake it. And then, being prepared for
an accident. This is where the whole clothing thing comes in. Once
bees are angry, they use odor cues to find the offender.

Up close, their eyesight is poor and if you wear khaki, and stand
still, they may not be able to distinguish you from the surroundings.
Dark close and jerky motions make you obvious. But not as much as
certain odors.

Dirty long hair is a particular problem; they seem to smell it. Maybe
not dripping sweat, but old sweat is trouble. I don't think these
odors anger the bees, but simply make it easier for them to find you
once they are angry.

I believe that clean clothes and hair will make your bee work go
easier, but above all, it is WAY you handle them that makes all the
difference in the world. It isn't so much slowness, as being steady,
deliberate, and respectful.

--

Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>