From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2015 14:13:37 +0000
Charles wrote:  That said, mites that infest to a level that kills the hive in winter, are

by default defeating themselves, so as a result, less virulent, or weaker

mites actually have a genetic advantage

That would be true if we didn't have apiaries full of colonies where some of the deadout mite "daughters" may have emigrated before winter. In other words, the "mite bombs" are doomed, but there will be mites that leave those hives and occupy stronger hives nearby. If they have been epigenetically modified through the breeding activities in the mite bomb, they could then be even more virulent the next season. This could in fact answer my question about why overwintered colonies generally have mites that are more virulent than those in packages. Overall, the mites win. Again. But #$@% it, we are smarter than they are! Aren't we????

Christina