From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 07:11:03 -0400

Actually I was going to jump on John when he wrote:
>> if bees don't hear then why do queens pipe?
> so the other bees can detect the vibrations through their feet on
> the wood.
but I decided he was pulling my leg just a bit.

But yes, I would call that hearing.  Now I'm off to Webster's to see
what he says.
hearing: n 1a : the process, function or power of perceiving sound

So, YES, I call that hearing.  Hearing does not take place in
the eardrum in humans or the antenna or feet in bees, hearing (the
perception of sound) takes place in the brain!  Bees hear.  "Stone-deaf"
people hear, just not with their ears.  Blind people see and read with
their hands.  Regardless how the input arrives, the senses take place
in the brain!

Aaron Morris - thinking there's more than one way to skin a cat!