From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 18:04:36 +1200
> Take the point of the bumblebee not
> flying. We all know of the studies that declared they cannot fly.

The mathematical modelling that was used to show that bumblebees
should not be able to fly (comparing body weight with wing area, etc)
was done in Germany prior to WWII.  It was done using the
calculations related to fixed wing aircraft.

The correcting science, properly using the mathematics related to
constantly 'feathered' wings (such as that used in helicopters), was
delayed by the war.

While often quoted as a means of showing that "scientists are a bunch
of wallies", I believe taken in totality it puts the process of
science in a pretty good light...

  (\      Nick Wallingford
  (/      NZ Beekeeping http://www.beekeeping.co.nz

'Order' files from an autoresponder...
NZ Bkpg: Composition of the Industry?  Email to: [log in to unmask]