From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 12:36:33 +0100
In message <000d01c656fa$c1299b60$b5792a50@office>, Peter Edwards
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>A very interesting post.  Have you seen workers taking the eggs from
>the queen?
Yes, many times. You see the queen with an egg already presented at the
tip of the abdomen, and a worker removes it and goes to wherever.

>I wonder why they should then struggle up through the excluder with them?

I always ASSUMED it to be because of our culling of bad combs in the
brood nest (anything over 10% or so in drone gets a one way trip to the
melter). They were being left with not enough drones for their natural
wishes, and so eggs were taken to where there WERE drone cells
available. I appreciate that this does not explain why they should place
some of them in worker cells, but they undoubtedly do place a *few*
there.

--
Murray McGregor