From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:28:48 -0400
Lonnie Standifer's name comes up often in my research. I never met him, but thought we should remember him.

Lonnie Standifer died 14 March 1996 after a prolonged illness. He was born 28 October 1926 in Itasca, TX, one of ten children, to Emma and Nathaniel Standifer.

Stan, as he was affectionately known by many of his coworkers, received his early education in Texas, earning a B.S. degree at Prairie View A & M University in 1949. He received his M.S. degree from Kansas State University in 1951 and a Ph.D. in entomology from Cornell University in 1954. Stan held teaching positions at Tuskegee Institute, Cornell University, and Louisiana's Southern University before he was hired in 1956 as an entomologist by the USDA's Agricultural Research Service, Tucson, AZ. Specializing in honey bee physiology and nutrition, he was promoted to research entomologist in 1960.

In 1970, he was appointed director of the Carl Hayden Bee Research Center at Tucson, a position he held until 1981. Stan published numerous scientific and technical papers and was a member of several professional organizations including the Entomological Society of America and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He retired in 1983 because of ill health and moved to Fort Worth, TX, to be near his family.  (by Eric H. Erickson)