From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 20:18:38 -0600
Forgive an old man's rambling...

I was reading the mail today and realized that so much info passes us by
that we miss a lot of it. Info overload is a real problem. Often I find
the answer to my own question by searching the email I've received over
the last few years ...and believe it or not, (hehehe) my own website.

As an Illustration: Regarding the recent exchange about FMGO, I refer you
to one of the more obscure older pages on my site (which mostly
works: they tell me they installed anew server today):
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/oil/default.htm It is a rather poignant
statement of Dr. Rodriguez's journey in search for a *safe* treatment for
varroa (Did anyone catch the reference to how fluvalinate affects drones
in recent posts?)  Frankly, I'd forgotten that page exists. I think Barry
has more recent pages on the enigmatic Dr. Pedro's work. Right Barry?

If you include the logs and all the bee books, we are inundated with fact.
I remember the good old days when there were only 5 or 10 bee pages on the
web.  That was only two years or so (3?) ago?  And I remember when there
were only a few bee books (written in a now obsolete and passive style).
That was a few more years back.

Changing the topic: I guess I'm with Andy on science: "Prove it (whatever)
doesn't work".  That challenge is as valid as "Prove it does work".  I've
set up a site to get this stuff dealt with.

http://www.internode.net/honeybee/BeeScience/ is the URL
It's a page for anyone -- scientist or layman -- who wants to tackle any
problem with reason and co-operation.  Jump in if you dare.  Post your
wish list and bee prepared to put your money where your mouth is and bee
prepared to get dirty.  Science can't be done without some pain -- mostly
the agony of surrendering comforting ignorance and cherished beliefs in
favour of truth and enlightenment and more cash in your jeans.

Changing the topic again: What's happening?  Are the dreaded vampire mites
turned into pussycats this year or have beekeeepers learned to cope?

What is going on?

Allen