Date:
Mon, 21 May 2012 23:30:58 -0400
MT has a similar law.  You can medicate to control Foul Brood,  if you
catch it in early stages.  If you abandon equipment and it becomes  grossly
foul, the state has legal authority to burn.

Our commercial beekeepers generally approve of this rule.  We also  have a
3 mile radius law.  Unfortunately, we lost ground regarding small  scale
beekeepers, who don't have to register or abide by a 3 mile  separation btw
their bee colonies and another beekeeper's bees.

In our classes, I correct a frequent misquote.  The State of MT does  NOT
mandate that you medicate or that you use any particular product.  But,  if
you insist on going organic, and your colonies break down with foul brood,
you  are expected to correct the situation, or the state will assist  you.

Our worst cases of Foul Brood are abandoned colonies.  The state  usually
bends over backwards trying to find the owner, but has legal authority  to
confiscate and destroy.

Jerry