Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 19:57:17 -0400
Morris Booton; [log in to unmask] asked for a way to contact the Buckfast
breeders in Canada:

Morris,
There may be other Buckfast breeders in Canada that I'm not aware of but
I do know that the Ontario Bee Breeders Association has members who are
breeding both Buckfast and Carniolans that have been being tested &
selected for tracheal mite resistance and for hygienic behaviour.  Last
I heard, they were working toward varroa resistance also.  I've heard
presentations about OBA's breeding program from Dr. Medhat Nasr (who is
the scientist hired by the beekeepers) and was impressed at the sucess
of their program. I'm trying some of OBA member, Neill Orr's, Carniolan
queens this fall.  I don't know who the Buckfast breeders are who are
part of the organization and the breeding program, but you can try
contacting Dr. Nasr for that info at [log in to unmask]

Be forewarned that Ontario is colder than most places that bee breeders
are, and the Carniolan breeder has shut down for the year so he can have
sufficient stock for late spring 1999... The OBA Buckfast breeders may
be doing the same.

Good Luck to you,
Kathy