Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 16:47:07 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (112 lines)
At 10:08 PM 6/6/96 -0500, you wrote:                                            
>                                                                               
>Has anyone had any luck making a platform to protect hives from bears?         
>                                                                               

I must confess that I do not know too much about using 'platforms'      
        to prevent bear attacks, but since I do have first hand experience      
        with black bears and since I have tried to read anything I find         
        about dealing with the problem, I feel that I must comment.             

My own experience as well as other's exp that I have read about         
        indicates that once the bruin has sampled a particular bee yard         
        there is precious little that you can do to prevent return              
        engagements, short of hunting the animal down and killing it (not       
        particularly easy since they are primarily nocturnal). Therefore        
        prevention is the key.                                                  

Much has been written about electric fences, and I don't plan on        
        recapping all of that. There are many excellent products on the         
        fencing market that will deter a bear who just *happens* onto an        
        apiary. The best possible fencing option for the hobbyist who has       
        his hives in the backyard, reasonably close to 120V is to buy an AC     
        livestock fencer (the ole weed burner). These products produce a great  
        "bang for the buck" and provide a pulsing charge that will continue to  
        zap for as long as there is contact with it.                            

For the large numbers of bee keeps that have hives remotely located     
        there are battery powered or solar powered electric fence units. There  
        is much who-hah about how many volts these units produce to which I     
        reply "so what?". The property that you're going after here is current  
        flow. I confess that I don't know what the amperage is of these DC units
        (or the AC ones either), but I do know that it can't be a large amount. 

The old saying is voltage will get your attention, but its the current  
        that kills you. Electro Static Discharge (static electricity)           
        is generated in 10's of thousand's of volts (a typical shock from the   
        carpet in your house with an excellent generator like wool socks will   
        generate 8000-10000 volts charge), but the current flow is very small   
        so you don't die you just yell DAMN!!!! Much the same as if you came in 
        contact with an electric fence. But I digress.                          

The bad news about charged DC fences is that once they have discharged  
        there is a time factor to consider before the fence is ready to zap     
        again. Batteries are, after all great big honkin capacitors, and        
capacitors                                                                      
        can hold a tremendous charge, but once its gone, time is required to    
build                                                                           
        the charge back to the previous level. Bears are much faster than this  
        time factor.                                                            

As I mentioned above, none of these measures will stop a bear who knows 
        what a treat is held in those hives and is hungry and/or determined     
        enough to get to them.                                                  

Another measure that has been tried is live-trapping and transporting   
        out of the area. This is extremely costly, is usually done by the       
        state fish and game and is difficult to coordinate. And it doesn't      
        always work. The bear's grazing range is huge, and I have read stories  
        where a bear was taken 100 miles, tagged and released and still         
returned                                                                        
        to the same hives two weeks later!                                      

Something that I have wanted to try that is popular up here (NE VT) is  
        to have the local hunters run the bear with their huntings dogs. This   
        practice is done to train the dogs and the bear is not physically       
harmed                                                                          
        (just treed and scared half to death!) and seems an effective way to    
        discourage the bear from returning to the area where the dogs found     
him.                                                                            
        Bears HATE dogs. I have asked the game warden to put me in touch with   
        one of these guys, but it hasn't happened yet.                          

I guess none of what I've said paints a very rosy picture if you've had 
        bears attack your hives and are trying to figure out a way to stop them.
        I'm sorry I can't give a definitive solution to this problem.           

My own method of dealing with bears is not something which can be mass- 
        marketed. I have my hives approx 75' from a breaker box that serves my  
        poultry coops. My original design was to wire a 30amp breaker with #10  
        romex and then connect the neutral lead to one sheet of metal           
roofing and                                                                     
        the hot lead to another sheet of roofing. the neutral plate goes on the 
        ground in front and behind the hives (kept isolated from the earth by   
        6x6's) and the hot plate goes on top of the hives. The theory is        
that the                                                                        
        bear must step on the neutral plate to reach the hives. When he         
reaches to                                                                      
        push the hive over he completes the circuit....and BANGO!!!! I can't    
        report on the effectiveness of this because I have yet to zap even one  
        hapless bruin with this method. Just yesterday I changed my layout to   
        be less cumbersome by setting up a typical fence line around the        
hives, but                                                                      
        I used #12awg bear (pun inteded) copper as my fencing, connected to the 
        #10 romex and the 30amp breaker. This should also be an effective       
deterrent.                                                                      
        A bit sadistic perhaps, but probably effective. Obviously, this set-up  
        could not be used in a more populated area where someone may wander     
into it                                                                         
        or anyplace where there be small children or large pets. I only         
energize my                                                                     
        'fence' during night hours, when bear attacks are most likely.          

Well that's all folks. I apoligize to the bw police. I know this is     
long.                                                                           
        I hope this info is of some help.                                       

Reference: Bee Culture magazine, March 1996                             
Tim Peters, Kirby VT                                                            
[log in to unmask]                                                             
KirBee Apiary, Bear Bait Honey                                                  
I rather be flying!                                                             

ATOM RSS1 RSS2