From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 2009 21:07:26 -0800
Today's high was 39 degrees.  I went out early to the hilly yards while the ground was still frozen so the mud would not be such an issue.  Moved on to the flat yards later and the mud was still an issue.  Thank God for 4x4!

I was opening hives checking on their viability.  We had an exceptionally warm fall and my bees ate through most of their stores.  Combined with a rainy, cool summer, stores were pretty low to start with.

So today I was popping lids, laying in a pollen/protein patty, covering it with a sheet of newspaper and adding about 10 pounds of dry sugar of emergency.  Bees looked good, but quite hungry.

With the sun shining, some hives were actively flying today.

Grant
Jackson, MO