From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2013 10:57:15 -0400
<Does nature follow IPM principles? In other words, do plants that produce
toxic nicotine make it only if insects start feed on their tissues?
Or do they produce it continually for 24/7 protection?>

I seem to recall reading that tobacco plants upregulate nicotene production
when they are being fed on (I look for the citation), so yes in this case
nature does practice IPM.  Immune systems are another example.  They stay
at a low level of activity until there is a problem then upregulate.  There
are tons of examples of this in nature because IPM is more efficient when
pressure is intermittant so the plant is not wasting energy defending
itself from nothing.  Of course plants that are subject to heavier and or
continual pressure would not favor an IPM strategy

Jeremy
West Mitchigan.