From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2013 01:19:00 -0500
Yeah, letting a pet sleep one the bed is going to result in the possibility
for contact between the child and the flea collar, so this is part of "keep
out of reach of children".  But the solution is simpler than that:

a) If the first thing your vet does is remove and throw away any/all "flea
collars" on every pet brought in the door, you have a good vet.

b) If he/she also berates owners about flea collars being something that
both dogs and cats can both scratch at with paws and claws they will
subsequently lick, you have a great vet.

c) If your vet does not do either, you need a new vet.

That said, fleas often prompt people to take the dog to the groomer for a
flea bath, and while the dog is getting a spa treatment, the owner then
carpet-bombs the house with massive amounts of toxic chemicals to kill any
fleas in the house that would make a single flea collar look like a
lollipop.
(Fun factoid, the term "Carpet bombing" was imagery adopted by the military
from the field of household pest control.)  Not sure how the kids would fare
from all the pesticide in the carpets and drapes, but I quickly learned to
catch infants on the FIRST bounce, and was considered a model father.

I am ducking as I type this, but the new "systemics" are really much, much
safer for all concerned, as they deliver a known controlled dose, do a far
better job of killing fleas in the 90% of the pet that is not near the
collar, and have zero "drift" associated with them from pets to children and
husbands and wives.  Does this concept sound familiar?

But regardless of your choice of flea control, pets sleeping on the bed is a
bad idea for any relationship, need I draw a diagram?  This problem is worse
with St Bernards, of course, but then all problems are worse with St
Bernards, except for the brandy. (As they grow, so do the kegs of brandy,
you see...)