From:
Edward D Heinlein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:54:16 -0600
On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 07:37:06 -0400 Peter Borst
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>I do not want to be in a position of administering medicine to a
stranger.
> Medics and paramedics presumably have malpractice insurance to
> protect them; if I am involved in a death where I played doctor, I
> am
> open to a major lawsuit.

In the event of an emergency situation, be it a bee stinging, auto
accident, heart attack, or what have you, any person administering aid to
the individual(s) in need fall under the "Good Samaritan Law". Yes, you
may very well be hauled into court in the event your "patient(s)" were to
succumb to the trauma or your actions, however, and this is a BIG
however, each person is judged on a different standard of care. What I
mean by this is, if you were an individual that had never completed grade
school, and I was an EMT, and someone else was a cardiologist, etc., and
each of us came upon the same emergency, each of our actions/reactions,
would be held to a different "standard of care", based on what each
person would be "expected" to know based on their training for such care
rendered in the situation. After all it makes sense that an EMT would be
better prepared, and have much more extensive knowledge and experience in
"emergency situations" than say the basic Joe, therefore, he/she would be
expected to respond in a manner commensurate with their qualifications.

Having witnessed anaphylaxis in a coworker many years ago, and not
knowing what was going on at the time, I WILL carry an epipen, and will
not be afraid to use it on myself, or anyone in my presence that is going
into anaphylaxis. I will never forget that experience. Fortunately my
coworker lived, as we were able to get him to an emergency room just as
his bronchi had become totally blocked. It is alarming, the speed with
which anaphylaxis can over come an individual.

I think it wise to inform anyone of the possibilities that could result
from stings. I also believe people need to take responsibility for their
decisions(I hate being told what to do). As with any medical procedure,
explaining what someone could possibly get into in the bee yard before
going in, provides them the opportunity to proceed with informed consent
on their part, and accept responsibility for their decisions.

Ed Heinlein
Helena, MT