From:
"Steven A. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 00:28:45 -0400
Hello Fellow Bee Keepers,

I am a beginer and need some help.  This April I started two colonies of
Italians, alpha colony and beta colony.  On the second day after introducing
them to their new homes I pulled away the grass from their entrances and let
them to their own devices.  Upon checking them the next day I found that at
least half of the bees in beta drifted to alpha. This made beta colony very
weak.  Since that time I have transfered two full frames of capped brood from
alpha in an attempt to bolster their ranks, with some success.  Also, it
appears that alpha colony is just better at doing everything; drawing comb,
foraging, stinging!  (they are very cross).  A few questions then.

1.  I have heard that such a difference in colonies is due to the vigor of
the queen.  Is this so?
2.  Why did so many bees drift all at once on the second day?
3.  Is beta colonies queen inferior?  And if so should I requeen this colony?
4.  I believe my bees expend a tremendous amount of energy drawing out
foundation.  In fact they don't apparently like to do it at all.  I put two
small shallow supers of new foundation above a queen excluder and all they
did was ignore it and store their honey in the bottom deep.  I have since
removed the excluders.  Is it unrealistic in the so so spring we are having
in the northwest to expect a crop from new packages?
5.  On advice from the beekeeper I purchased the packages from I have not
medicated for Varoa yet this spring. (he maintained that their population
would be small this time of year, and that I could wait until after harvest
to medicate).  I have now found adult Varoa on some of my bees.  Should I
give up on making a crop and just medicate now?

I know this is a great deal for any one person to address, but I would sure
appreciate anyones help.

Steve Davis
Clackamas Co.
Oregon, USA