Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 19:23:06 EST
Hello Bill,
I just HAD TO REPLY to your comments about the OVER ABUNDANCE of propolis that
you experienced with Carniolans.  You must have had the YC-2k hybrid line or
the old Hastings stock.  Why do I say such a thing?

I invite you to read the 4th paragraph of page 57 in the 1992 Extensively
Revised HIVE AND HONEY BEE which says:  The Carniolan bee collects LESS
propolis than any other European race.

However, in paragraph 1 of page 57, it states:  The range of variation
between the various strains of a. m. carnica is PROBABLY GREATER than any
other known race (Ruttner, 1984).   I trust Ruttner like the next thing to
God, because he was an eminent scientist.

Sue Cobey has "purified" the pedigree of the original Carniolan and calls it
the New World stock.  This is my 54th year with Carnies after having Italians
for 16 years first.  I rarely see any propolis when using NWC.

As far as I am concerned, their propensity to swarm is their only negative.

Have a fine holiday season!

George Imirie