From:
Mary Kellogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:15:35 -0500
Hi all,
I am a family physician.  Can't help chiming in to clear some misconceptions.
As far as I know, Chemo drugs can supress one's immune system and inflammatory response. The same is true for anti-inflammatories like Prednisone (steroids), but not really for things like Motrin, Advil, Celebrex.  This means that, if you are stung, your body won't mount the same response if you are on those drugs/meds.  The inflammation (and pain) around the sting site would be lessened.

You don't completly wipe out your ability to mount a response unless you are on significant doses of meds. Also, once you are off the meds, your immune response should recover.

I would think that the benefits of venom therapy would be lessend as long as you are on the chemo drugs, but it should come back.  I'm not an expert on venom therapy, however.

Wishing you luck with your treatments.
Mary in CT