From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:08:15 -0500
Pesticide in pollen- Jerry pointed out that it has been found in pollen.
But that is pesticide in general, so do not leap to specifics
pesticides. He also has pointed out that just about everything in an
area is picked up by bees and found in hives, including heavy metals, so
pinning all on one thing brought in is not too scientific.

Government regulations- AHB came into Maine in a generator packing crate
from Brazil well before it even came close to central America. Plenty of
regulations but the only thing that stopped any spread was the shipment
came in the middle of winter which tends to slow down even native bees.
Invasive species come into every country every year, for better of for
worse in spite of all the government regs. To stop the spread, stop all
travel and commerce (after we visit my son in Hawaii).

CCD is spread by "migratory beekeepers". Maine gets 60,000 + colonies
every year and so far no CCD has been found.Plenty of Varroa, Tracheal,
SHB, AFB, EFB, KBV and every other XXB/V in the book, as well as "off
spec" mite treatments but no CCD.

Regulations will stop pests- Too often we do not know the pest until
after it arrives and becomes one in the new location.

No organic beekeepers suffer from CCD- check the original reports form
Jerry and Almonds in California. CCD was not discriminatory.

Turkeys are doomed like bees. Wild turkeys are in every state except
Alaska and Hawaii and legally hunted since there are now so many of
them. (Had to add that in keeping with the season and Yoon's comment.) I
saw 25 walk in a nice tight line behind the house a year or so ago.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine