From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 12:10:32 -0700
Thanks, Jim. That was a great explanation.  I guess I should have known
all that, but it's been a long time...

> Electrons - These are the lightest common particle that one cheaply
isolate, and they clearly will do "less damage" than neutrons or
protons.  E-Beam >>>WILL<<< kill bacteria, like AFB...

> Everything Else - Anything else is MUCH more massive than an
electron...  The effect on wood is simply a scaled-down version of what
would happen if you started shooting bullets at a sheet of plywood.  At
some point, the wood turns into "swiss cheese", and falls apart under
its own weight.

>> ...I've asked the guys who use electron beam and they say they don't
see any
>> ill effects.

> Well, a neutron is about 1837 times as massive as an electron, so it
would be more than a thousand times "more damaging" at equal velocity.

>         Me:     "OK, you have E=hv .... so what's 'h'"?
>         Max:  "Planck's Constant".
>         Me:     "Right... and what's 'v'?"
>         Max:    "The length of the plank?"

At least he wasn't bored.  A Planck namesake?

At any rate, I noticed also that Trevor wrote:

>>> Combs that have not been extracted cannot be irradiated as the honey
"explodes" and when sending honey for irradiation, <<<

He does not mention what form of radiation is used where he is.  The
reports here -- using electron beam -- are that honey merely foams out a
bit.  I haven't seen it, so maybe someone who has done electron beam
sterlization can comment further, but I wonder if the Auzzies are using
something else.

A neighbour of mine had a cobalt radiation facility in Utah in mind,
since penetration is apparently much better using that type of
radiation, but distance and border problems caused him to decide on the
electron beam plant in Port Coquitlam B.C.  It was a good choice.  The
results have been spectacular, with remarkably solid brood patterns
resulting on irradiated comb -- even scaled combs.

With electron beam, the amounty of honey in combs going in is
necessarily limited, since the density of honey in combs limits
penetration and casts a 'shadow'.  This is the main reason given for
limiting the honey in combs going into the beam, but apparently there
can be some problem with honey running.  Therefore the beekeepers use
cardboard boxes to protect the conveyer from bits of wax falling out and
from any honey dripping.  I understand that the boxes last five trips or
so, then are replaced since they get soggy and dog-eared.  The radiation
facility is very fussy and will not tolerate any spills or mess, since
they do medical instruments and other clean items as well as the
occasional truckload of bee boxes.

allen