From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:22:41 EST
In a message dated 11/26/00 10:30:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I was just wondering what a person should charge for hive rentals. I'm sure
>  you have talked about it before, but I haven't seen it.
>  thanks in advance

  The price is locally determined, according to supply and demand. But be
aware that a "hive" for pollination purposes has to be defined, and should at
least have minimum standards. In some areas the real rental fee is not based
on the hives but on the frames of bees and brood. You can find more about
standards at the page in the sig file.

   A good resource for prices is Bee Culture magazine, which keeps tabs on
honey, wax and pollination prices by region.  You can subscribe via
http://airoot.com

   In general, I can't see how one can pollinate and do a good job for less
than $40 US. There are some cheaper in some areas, but often they are giving
pretty poor quality of bees or service. Two poor hives may not be as useful
as one good one.

  I think it is important for beekeepers who do pollination to remember that
the grower must make a profit, if the business is to be sustained for the
long term. Too many beekeepers operate on a short time frame, considering a
pollination job as a way station between honey crops, and do not give the
level of professionalism that is needed. Not only do your bees need to be of
good quality, but you need to be highly knowledgeable, not only about bees,
but about the crops and the pollination process, as well.

Dave Green
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com