From:
Ron Bogansky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 12:17:09 -0400
Note: I sent this message yesterday, but I don't think it went out.  If you
receive it twice, my apologies.

Hi All,
A friend who grows pumpkins had a pollination problem last season.  There
were no bees in his area. They were probably wiped out by varroa.  This year
I put three hives on his property.  According to him the fruit set is three
times last year and the fruit is bigger than what he usually sees for this
time of year.  It has been dry this year.   He said the bees are in the
field till about 11 am.  I think he has at least 20 acres in
pumpkins/squash.  The spring/early summer flow was good so I will keep this
as a permanent yard and add more hives next year.

My questions.  Although he is happy with three colonies how many should
there be per acre?  Do bees make honey from pumpkins/squash?

Frank Pellet's book on honey plants states that the honey is dark and poor
quality.  I have not seen dark honey in three years especially since I
started treating for mites and leave the fall flow to the bees.  I could use
a little.

By the way, if anyone was curious, the bear never returned, my family is
still helping out a lot, and the cast came off last Wednesday.  The Dr. said
the bones mended quickly.  Maybe the bee stings helped.  I still have a
"ton" of work to catch up on.  But my patience has improved, a little.

Thanks,
Ron Bogansky
Kutztown, PA