Date:
Tue, 29 May 2012 11:53:14 -0400
My allergist, who did some of the pioneering work on family members of
beekeepers, told me that skin tests are a POOR predictor of anaphylactic
reactions.  I had a student who became severely reactive to be  stings after
receiving no more than 3 bee stings over 2-3 years.  She  loved working with
bees, so she underwent the desensitizing series, and she went  on to graduate
work with bumble bees.  The allergist said she was one of  the most sensitive
people he had encountered, yet the desensitizing shots  worked.  Also, she
did not show a reaction via a skin test.

None of this is surprising to me.  As I've said before, I'm not  allergic
to bee stings, but I've a long history of allergies to pollen, took  shots
for 5 years, which helped, but didn't cure.  I can't eat raw pollen,  and I
have to taste test a SMALL amount of any honey from a new region.  My  tongue
begins to tingle, lips start to puff, from some pollens in honey.   Its a
dose thing with me - so I can start small, work up.

Jerry