From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2017 11:28:14 -0500
> but all the papers I have read show clearly under normal conditions it’s a complete non issue.

I am not sure what you call "normal conditions" but pesticides are not and never will be "a complete non issue." Neonics, while certainly safer in most respects than previous classes of pesticides, are now being used too much and for too many things; this fact is a the problem.

For example, if I told you I never drank hard liquor, only an occasional glass of wine, you might say "no harm in that." But if I told you I drank a glass per hour, throughout the day, that's way too much and would probably result in serious health consequences.

Same with pesticides, it's when they are overused and when they are used against pests that aren't even in the fields, then we have a problem. Recently, May Berenbaum writes:

"Exposure to pesticides rarely if ever is beneficial to bees; rather, pesticide ingestion is associated with a wide array of negative effects. Pesticides detected in honey and beebread in North American hives include insecticides, acaricides, fungicides, and herbicides."

Behavioral responses of honey bees (Apis mellifera) to natural and synthetic xenobiotics in food.
Liao LH, Wu WY, Berenbaum MR. Sci Rep. 2017 Nov 21; 7(1):15924 | PMID: 29162843